Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Homemade Honey Toffee Un-Recipe

I was trying to come up with something, other than gum, for my little guy to chew on the plane. Enter my clever Mother-in-Law! She mentioned the she always made "Grampa's Toffee" for airplane trips when her kids were little. Genius! I prefer for Daniel to have honey or maple as sweeteners-especially when I know he's going to down 8 or 9 per flight so I decided to make my own recipe.


I thought of all the honey treats my mom made for me when I was little. I had the mom who shopped at the health food store, bought organic and started every morning with a vitamin buffet, before it was cool. I remember her making honey lollipops for me and I figured I could make toffee out of honey as well. I'm sure this will turn out differently at different altitudes etc, but if it's too soft, cook it to the hard crack stage (300 degrees) and add a little more butter. You can also store it in the fridge to keep it from melting.

So here is my delicious, honey toffee "un-recipe":

Ingredients:
About 4 Tbsp butter
About 3/4 cup creamed honey (liquid works, but they're a bit melty-er)
Sprinkle of Salt
Dash of Vanilla

Melt butter and honey in the pan on medium heat to the soft crack stage (or about 290 degrees).


Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.


Pour into a well greased glass or ceramic dish and place in the fridge to cool for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.


Remove cold toffee from the pan, cut into pieces and wrap in wax paper squares.


 It's really that simple, and SO yummy. Honey is known for it's energy boosting and healing properties and as helpful for your immune system, so eat up!

4 comments:

  1. will soft margarine work? I have to use casein free margarine, like Smart Balance Lite and it doesn't come in stick form, at least not where I live. I do have the creamed honey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to guess yes, but I've never tried. When you substitute it in other recipes, does it usually work?

      Delete
  2. I've used a very similar recipe with vegan margarine and a few tablespoons of bacon grease. Oh. My. Goodness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the irony of vegan margarine and bacon grease! I'm guessing it's to avoid dairy?

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...